Kids know what they want.

How many of us have a stereotype when we think about our kids before we have them, the clubs they are going to do and the things they will  wear? I must say I did. And I hold my hands up to that, despite being a complete tomboy myself loving football, boxing and martial arts, I always assumed if I had a little boy he would do football or rugby, and if I had a little girl she would dance, and do gymnastics .

And then I  actually had kids. The things you thought would matter are just not important, and you just want to see them loving life.  I have three beautiful boys, one that is too young to have a clue what he likes yet, apart from bananas and the tv remote.
 Toby and Jack are so similar but also so different - their interests are in complete opposite things. Jack is part of the choir, loves country music and Taylor swift and doesn't really enjoy sports. Toby on the other hand would get stuck in to anything, would happily do sports clubs all day everyday, doesn't like my 'girly' music, and loves listening and jumping to daddy's rock music.
 These two boys came in to my life and all of that expectation and pressure to fill a part just slipped away. Jack and Toby showed me that kids know what they want, and they aren't afraid to go get it.  I felt the need for them to be happy and follow their hearts rather than fit in with the social norms or old fashion expectations.


 Toby has very recently found confidence in himself and I could not be more proud. He plays football with his friends on a local team, but his current passion... Cheerleading!
 He makes my heart so happy, and I know that cheer makes him so happy too. I was so worried he would stop doing what he loved because of things people said. But he hasn't, and he has a smile on his face every week on the morning of the day he goes to cheer, right up to when he falls asleep that night. He leaves his club bouncing and telling us all of his amazing stories and stunts. It fills him with so much passion.and energy.
 Just a few weekends ago he was invited to do a cheer competition, he was very excited but I don't think he had realized what he had signed up for, (neither did I really) when we turned up to spotlights and smoke machines. He was quite emotional before he went on and didn't want to leave my side. He was worried, as there were so many people and he didn't know what to expect. He plucked up the courage though, and went to warm up with his team. When they called the squads name I took my place anxiously at the front of the mat. Was he going to refuse to come out, was he going to freeze and cry in front of all these people. Oh no, why had I let him do this.

How silly of me.

Out ran my boy, grinning from ear to ear. Watching him was one of my proudest moments as a parent. Yes, a tear (and a few more) left my eyes. I was that crazy mum cheering at the top of my lungs, as he got lifted in to the air and did his little dab that won the hearts of the judges.

He ran off the mat in to my arms, and the first thing he said was that it isn't even scary!
He smiled for the rest of the day. I was so proud of my brave boy.
 He got a medal for taking part which for him really was the icing on the cake. He wore it all day, folded it neatly under his pillow at nights and wore it for the rest of the week, refusing to take it off. He was so proud of himself and that's the best thing to see as a parent.


So forget stereotypes. Let kids be kids, let them be themselves and let them follow their hearts and their dreams. And believe me as a parent, there is no better feeling than seeing your kid do what they love, despite others opinions.
So Theo, darling, be who you want to be and do what you want to do, I will be proud no matter what. I am excited to see the person that you will become, and hope you find it easy to follow your heart just like your big brothers do,




Visit our
InstagramYouTube and Twitter
for more of our family fun!






Comments